St Trolla’s History

The Crask Inn has been a place of welcome and hospitality for many a year, it stands in wild, expansive country, brooded over by 3156-ft Ben Klibreck, the highest mountain in the district. The original part of the building was constructed around 1815 by the Sutherland Estate and it has since provided welcome refuge for generations of weary travellers in the far north. Thomas Telford upgraded the road in 1819 but it remains a single-track road even though it is the main road north from Lairg to Tongue. There are no street lights to pollute the clear night skies or to disturb the sheep.

Mike and Kai Geldard bought the Crask in the early part of this century and ran it as an Inn for over 10 years before gifting it to the Scottish Episcopal Church, to be run as an Inn, a place of pilgrimage and retreat and a place of hospitality and worship . Mike and Kai now live in the nearby Crask Cottage and continue to run the croft on which the Inn sits. Current guests are looked after by Denise and Douglas Campbell on behalf of the Church.

There are regular services held at the Crask Inn, which is dedicated to St Trolla (or Triduana)  who lived in the 7-8th centuries and is thought by some to have been one of several abbesses who accompanied St Regulus to Scotland when he brought the relics of St Andrew from Constantinople. She is also thought to have accompanied St Boniface on his mission to Pictland in AD 715. St Trolla is commemorated in two places in East Sutherland, including St Trolla’s Chapel at Loth near Brora.